Environmentally Friendly by Design
From design to production, Gumstix strives to be environmentally friendly. We responsibly manage all aspects of our business to minimize impact to the environment, while maintaining high standards of quality, technology and cost savings that are passed along to our customers.
We minimize our impact on the environment through emphasizing the "four R's:" Reduce, Re-Use, Recover, and Recycle:
- Every Gumstix product is shipped in minimal packaging even when shipping volume orders.
- All support documentation is online, significantly reducing the use of paper for printed manuals. All Gumstix COMs and computers are preloaded with software, needing no installation media.
- All products have reduced levels of hazardous substances used in the production of our products. All Gumstix products are in compliance with the European RoHS directive.
- Office paper waste and other operation environment impacts are significantly reduced through advanced automation of Gumstix manufacturing and logistics chain.
- A significant portion of Gumstix employees reduce automotive pollution by regularly telecommuting.
Re-Use and Recover
- Gumstix expansion boards, COMs, and cases are designed to be forward-compatible with future Gumstix products, allowing an efficient migration path in the future for upgrading existing equipment without requiring complete replacement protecting the environment and our customers' investment.
- Shipping and packing materials from our suppliers is recovered and re-used in outbound shipping reducing landfill and offering cost-savings we pass directly to customers.
- Office paper waste is shredded on-site, recovered and re-used as packing material for bulk shipments.
- Confidential or sensitive documents are shredded and then recycled, not incinerated.
- All other office waste generated is carefully separated into recyclable and non-recyclable materials.
Gumstix and RoHS Compliance
Our company recognizes the benefits of removing lead and other hazardous substances from computing products. As a result, each Gumstix product shipped to every customer worldwide will have been designed to meet the lead-free and hazardous substance-free standard as set out by the European Union in 2006 under their Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) guideline.